Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Review: The Kraken Project

The Kraken Project The Kraken Project by Douglas Preston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Artificial Intelligence On Steroids

My reading habits include having a pen, paper, and dictionary handy so I can take notes on what I am reading to increase my knowledge on subjects I find important or intriguing. We all have different thoughts about why or what we choose to read. While some books give us pleasure, others have relevant information that expands our minds to changing technologies in the world today. This book peaked my interest into the expanding realm of artificial Intelligence and the consequences we might face if movies like the Terminator with drones gone wild become a reality. Other movies that came to mind while reading this novel were Short Circuit with Johnny 5 and I Robot in which the robots develop a soul of sorts. While we can scoff at the implications that our world could not succumb to such devastation by machines, then they have never seen Star Trek or watched over the last 100 years how the science fiction of yesterday is now the reality of today. I thoroughly found this book both entertaining plus eye opening to the realities that face our world today on a global scale.

My notes on "The Kraken Project" by Douglas Preston are:
1. Artificial Intelligence or AI, read more about this subject.
2. Weaponizing our world with drones. Is this good, bad or just plain ugly?
3. Smart weapons are an oxymoron in a world that promotes Peace/Love/Religious values above all else.
4. The dark net, swindling wall street hackers/murder. How has the computer harmed the stock market against the average investor?
5. Dorothy and her dog/explorer. We all just want somewhere to feel safe and loved.
6. NASA deep space missions. Our governments screw ups while spending trillions of dollars.
7. Human nature / the meaning of humanity / what is the meaning of life.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment